Pwn Pad 2014 Community Edition Now Available

Pwn Pad 2014 Community EditionYes, it’s true! You’ve all (mostly) been waiting patiently and now the Pwn Pad 2014 community edition is available for download. You can find it here on our Downloads page.

Installation Instructions

You can download the installation instructions in PDF form or follow them here:

What you’ll need:

• A computer running a Linux­based operating system (Ubuntu 12.04 recommended)
    NOTE: Using a virtual machine is not recommended due to Nexus 7 USB host mode compatibility limitations.
  • The following Nexus 7 tablet model:
    2013 edition Nexus 7 tablet (32GB, Wi­Fi + LTE Mobile data, Model K009)
    This can be purchased directly from Google Play:
  • A micro­USB OTG to USB 2.0 adapter
    (We recommend:
  • A TP­Link TL­WN722N USB adapter (for 802.11 wireless pentesting)
  • (Optional) A SENA UD100 industrial Bluetooth USB adapter (for Bluetooth pentesting)
  • (Optional) A USB­to­Ethernet adapter (for pentesting wired networks)
  • (Optional) Velcro for attaching accessories to the back of the Nexus 7

Download the Installation Package

If you haven’t done so already, the Pwn Pad 2014 installation package can be downloaded from here:

Extract the package & run the installer script

Note: All below instructions assume you’re using a Debian Linux­based host computer (Ubuntu 12.04 recommended). Using

1. Install the “adb” and “fastboot” packages onto your Linux host computer:
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-fastboot-tools
  2. Untar the Pwn Pad 2014 installation package:
    $ tar xvf pwnpad-2014_image.tar.xz
    $ cd pwnie_img/
    $ chmod +x
  3. Attach the Nexus 7 to your Linux host computer with the stock Nexus 7 micro­USB cable. Do NOT use any USB extension cables, USB hubs, or any additional adapters.
  4. Hold the Nexus 7 power and volume­down buttons simultaneously to boot into Fastboot mode.
  5. From your Linux host computer, run the following command to initialize the adb server:
    $ sudo adb start-server
  6. Run the Pwn Pad image installation script:
    $ sudo ./
  7. Follow the onscreen step­by­step instructions from the script.

Community Edition Support

27 replies
  1. detro
    detro says:

You know, hundreds of folks ended up purchasing the non mobile data model to make their own pwnpad and were told (by pwnieexpress)that it should work fine but will just install a bunch of extra GSM extras. I am hoping this is a the truth or else im bricking my nexus tonight =

• Don Kelloway
      Don Kelloway says:

We appreciate your comments, but as noted below there is certain functionality required of having either a Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB+LTE or Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB+Mobile Data. If you have no need of this functionality (e.g. establishing Reverse SSH sessions via 3G, etc.), then you may be able to install the “community edition” onto a Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB or Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB model that doesn’t offer LTE or Mobile Data. However it is important to understand we have not performed any official testing on any hardware platform other than the Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB+LTE or Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB+Mobile Data.

• Ofer po
        Ofer po says:

Hi Don
        im not sure i understood
        if i’ll get the NON LTE (WI-FI ONLY) model,will i be able to INSTALL the 2014 version ?

i dont need the extra GSM functionality, and as you know it costs more then the non LTE.

you wrote “may install” , could you please explain?
        were there cases where the pwn pad 2014 community edition didn’t install successfully on the 2013 wi-fi version?
        Mr Po

• holla
      holla says:

I got the community edition working with my Nexus 7 2013 32 GB tablet (the “FLO” model). The installation process is super easy and I did not have any trouble with it.

Kismet works with a TP-LINK TL-WN722N USB wifi card connected to the tablet with an OTG USB cable. The tablet’s internal GPS also works with Kismet (if you start “bluenmea” first), which is a huge bonus!

• Don Kelloway
      Don Kelloway says:

The image associated with the Pwn Pad 2014 has only been tested in association with the Nexus 7 2013 32GB+LTE tablet. Though it may be possible we have not performed any testing with using this image with either the Nexus 7 2013 32GB WiFi only or the Nexus 7 2013 16GB WiFi only models.

With respect to releasing an image of the Pwn Pad 2014 for use with the Nexus 7 2012 models, we have only tested for use with the 32GB+Mobile Data tablet, and we have to release this image as of February 17th.

2. truth
    truth says:

Idk if its possible, but you guys should really make a .zip file that’s flashable thru a custom recovery (twrp, cwm, etc.). The reason I’m wanting this has nothing to do with the steps, or my PC, or anything like that. I just want to be able to install it alongside my current ROM. If it was a file I could use multirom to dual boot it, as I do with backtrack on my PC. I haven’t looked at the package, so I have no idea what kind of modifications have been done to the boot partition, if any, but I feel from my standpoint that it should be possible. Please consider this if its within the scope of this project.

• Don Kelloway
      Don Kelloway says:

Thank you for your comments/suggestions. Our developers are currently reviewing various options involving the installation and recovery process

• truth
        truth says:

Cool, hope you guys can and/or want to make this possible. I would love to just flash the images, but, using a pen testing suite as my only ROM, although I’m sure its possible, would not be convenient, smart, or secure in my situation. Even though it was quite vague, thank you for your feedback. My fingers are crossed…

3. XL
    XL says:

Is there anyway to combine this with a multiboot so that you can run a stock andriod rom alongside the kalipwnpad?

4. Unks
    Unks says:

I am wondering, if it will be possible to install the pwn pad image on a Kindle Fire HD 7.
    I have already been using the Nexus 2013 with ease, just thinking if it will also work with Kindle Fire HD7 (previous gen).
    Let me know your thoughts.

• Don Kelloway
      Don Kelloway says:

Thank you for your inquiry.

The “Community Edition” image is built (i.e. complied) for use with the hardware associated with the Nexus 7 tablet. We do not have any plans at this time to create an additional image for use with other hardware.

5. Ofer po
    Ofer po says:

hi guys
    Excellent work!
    will the 2014 community ROM work with the Google nexus 2013 32gb LTE “international model”? i think it has a different model number the the k009 of the US version.
    please advice

6. holla
    holla says:

Has anybody gotten a dual-band 802.11a/b/g USB card working with this? The only shortcoming of the TP-Link TL­WN722N is that it cannot scan the 5 GHz 802.11a channels, which may leave blind spots in wireless assessments.

7. Sean
    Sean says:

So i have everything I need but I cant seem to figure out how to actually get the TL-WN722N to work with the pwn pad, just plugging it in doesnt seem to do anything, nor trying to fire anything up after I plug it in

8. Ian
    Ian says:

Sean, I’m having the same problem and I’m
    Sure it’s not the otg cable as a mouse works with it. The adapter just doesn’t seem to get recognised correctly (not showing up as wlan1). Not lights or anything. Tested it and it works fine on my laptop. Did you manage to get it working? I’m guessing you tried ifconfig wlan1 down/up?

• ivalethia
      ivalethia says:

I have the same problem with a 32gb nexus 7 wifi+3g, also with the wlan0 [the internal wifi antenna], can connect to my own net, but don’t interact with the network, neither the wireless tools. Some help here please.

9. jr1804
    jr1804 says:

I converted my Nexus 7 2013 32GB WiFi only with the CE. The only issue I’m having is mounting the TP-Link WN722N. When I try to mount using the OTG helper the error reads ‘Mount: No Drives found!’

• Don Kelloway
      Don Kelloway says:

Upon connecting the TP-Link WiFi adapter with the MicroUSB OTG cable, open a Root Shell on the Pwn Pad and type ifconfig wlan1 up and press Enter. At this time, the adapter should become available for use wand you should see it listed if you type ifconfig wlan1 and press Enter.

Once confirmed, you can use it with the one-touch applications (i.e. Kismet, WiFite, Airodump, etc.) If the adapter is not available for use, then check the OTG cable being used. These cables can be be extremely finicky and sometimes fail to provide a sold connection.

10. Michael Gilbert
    Michael Gilbert says:

Hello, I was looking to buy the Pwn phone. Seeing that you can build your own Pwn Pad, can I do the same with the Nexus 5 to make my own Pwn Phone? And is there a difference between the “community edition” build and the build you get when you buy the phone directly from you guys?

11. dahlan
    dahlan says:

from what i understand, there are 2 images to choose for the nexus 7 2012 use the 2013 image and 2013 edition use the 2014 image respectively. please correct me if i am wrong but i am under the impression that this is because of the differences in GSM & LTE baseband in each devices. i have nexus 7 2012 GSM codename: tilapia which is the 2012 production but with GSM baseband and have sim card. which image should i use – the 2013 or the 2014 image?

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!